Great Patrol Hunt
With the Great Patrol Hunt girls have the best experiences
The History of the Great Patrol Hunt…
It began in 1968, Hertfordshire Scout Patrols competed annually in various ways, in what became known as Great Patrol Hunt. In 1972, Guide Patrols were admitted to the competitions and many of them entered the first round, the rest is history! Today, Great Patrol Hunt is more popular than ever because the challenges offer patrols the opportunity to do activities that are fun, out of the ordinary and inspiring.
- Round 1: Saturday 14 October 2023 | Chandler’s Cross - completed
- Round 2: Saturday 23 March 2024 | St Albans
- Round 3: Friday 21 June - Sunday 23 June 2024 | TBC
Round 1 of the Great Patrol Hunt was completed on Saturday 14 October 2023:
About the Competition
The competition spans over a year and comprises of 3 rounds. Each round has different and diverse challenges that encourage patrols to work together as a team. Marks are awarded for team work, presentation, effort, etiquette, good deeds and achievement throughout the challenges and the event.
There are two inexpensive activity days finishing with a camp that Guides can attend without Unit Leaders, giving an opportunity to make new friends with other Guides from across Hertfordshire whilst developing new skills.
Unit leaders are not required to accompany Patrols to this event, which is run by a team of qualified Girlguiding leaders, however if you would like to offer your help, please let us know. New leaders are always more than welcome.
- Participants are aged between 10-15 years and an active member of a Guide Unit.
- Teams need not be regular weekly Patrols, but they must choose a unique name for themselves in order to enter.
- Patrols must consist of 4-6 Guides and should not include more than 10 different patrol members throughout the three rounds.
- To participate in Round 3, a patrol and at least 2 members must have competed in one of the previous rounds, or a new patrol must be accompanied by one of its unit leaders.
- If you are unable to make a full Patrol in Rounds 1 & 2, then join the ‘GPH Mavericks’, a patrol made of Guides from different units.
Round 1 of the Great Patrol Hunt was completed on Saturday 15 October 2022:
Round 2 of the Great Patrol Hunt was completed on Saturday 11 March 2023:
Round 3 of the Great Patrol Hunt was completed on the weekend of Friday 30 June - Sunday 2 July 2023.
Well done to all those who participated in this year’s competition and congratulations to the overall winners:
- 1st place - The Hedgehogs, from 9th Abbey Guides
- 2nd place - Asparagii, from 11th Hitchin Guides
- 3rd place - LLamas in Pyjamas, from 13th St Albans Guides